
I sort of feel like Charlie Brown today...
But my Valentine is in France!
I know that a lot of people feel bitter, or angry, or frustrated, or sad about today being Valentines Day. But I don't blame them! To tell you my honest opinion - Valentines Day is one of the worst American holidays we have (next to Labor Day...can anyone tell me what the hell we are suppose to do on Labor Day?). To quote a line from one of my favorite movie (ESOTSM), " Today is a day invented by greeting card companies to make you feel like shit". Valentines Day is only special if you have a significant other and if you don't, well - tough luck. But why do we have to invent days like this to celebrate that you love someone? Shouldn't Valentines Day be everyday? Do you really love someone twice as much on the 14th of February than the 15th of February or the 28th of May? The same can be said with other phony holidays like Father's or Mother's Day....
So for all of you that are in love, good for you, just remember to celebrate it all 365 days of the year.

2 comments:
YES- celebrate, cherish and value each passing day. It's a holiday in itself for various reasons!! I have many comments on this but yeah, I'll leave it to that. I love you lots my dear cousin!!
I dunno Kevin, I'd say this is a pretty easy position to take on V-day. I wouldn't really say that anyone is saying that you love people more then or that you shouldn't show your love always...but rather that love is so great a thing that there ought to be a day dedicated to it. Sure it can get lame if you buy into the idea that you need to buy a bunch of crap for someone but there's nothing wrong with showing someone that you always love that their love is signicant enough to have an entire specific day just to celebrate it. As for Labor Day...what's there to complain about?? You get school off and in many cases (though not so much for our job) you get the day off of work. Sounds like a good thing to me. I'm thinking the idea is you're suppose to take the day off and relax, just a way to say "Hey I work hard and here's a nice break. Sweet." I mean, really even ol' Chuck is excited for Valentine's Day and that's saying a lot for a cynic like him. He's just sad that he was left out. So in case you felt like that...Happy late Valentine's Day amigo!
Post a Comment