Friday, February 26, 2010

Terezin

More photos, you ask? I hear, I listen, I am complacent. Here you are.

A trip to Terezin with FAMU - a town where one of Hitler's "show camps" plays a prominent role in what the town is like today. Such a fun and interesting day.


We met up early with our tour guide and the rest of the FAMU crew at a bus station.


The trip there was pretty inspiring. I never seen landscape so white and bleak. It was breathtaking. Featured here is my cinematographer, Michael Ghan.


We arrived in Terezin. A pretty, little town with a dark past that overshadow how pleasant it could be.


This was our tour guide. I am currently blanking on his name. But he was wonderful. His family went through Terezin and so he knew a lot about it's history and shared really personal stories. He is a really kind man, would touch your arm as he spoke gently, but directly to you. So engaging. His stories were transformative and life changing.


This was one of three holocaust museums we visited, focusing primarily on Terezin.


We had a pretty lavish lunch with him. All expenses paid by FAMU. We drank and were full and merry.


FAMU kids - Kacey and Sebastian. Fun people with expensive cameras.


We walked through Terezin, seeing the locals, so much different from the city folk of Prague - simpler and more content.


We saw a nice little park with a playground. Kids were ice-skating on top of a basketball court which they pour water over and let freeze. We took a moment to play and be children again.


This is a foyer that was the one of the main containment center where women were housed. It's been remodeled and turned into a museum that housed some of the most amazing art I have ever seen, all made in the camp. Like I said, Terezin was a show camp that Hitler used to show to the world how the reallocation of the jews were safe and clean, though that couldn't be further from the truth. Conditions were horrendous and many died of disease in cramped living areas. The only benefit of living in Terezin was that it was not a death camp and the jews had a bit more freedom to create art. I saw amazing paintings and sketches, heard wonderful music, and read about stage plays they would put on in secret.


We then went to a prison where many jews were imprisoned and tortured. Outside of it was an enormous cemetery. The photograph doesn't do justice to how many graves there were.


We walked around taking photographs. In awe of how eerie the place was.




Unfortunately, we were caught up in museums and the prison (which is now a museum itself) was closing so we had to go back home.



The path to the bus that will take us back to Prague.

No comments:

Followers